12

What makes you sad just by thinking about it?


I took this picture in Lisbon last week.

Forgive me for not updating. It's not that I have so many things to do, it is just that I'm spending my time elaborately avoiding to do them. I wanted to make a post about sadness because Scandinavia can be a very depressing place at this time of year. Sure it is Christmas, but it is also extremely dark and cold. It's dark when you get up and dark when you come home. People are saddened by many things, loneliness, darkness, films, books, music - could be whatever. I just wanted to know what makes you sad.

These things I have listed below make me above averagely sad just by thinking about them, you'll probably have me in tears by the end of this post.

Bits in films that make me cry excessively: 

That part in Fur, when Diane tries to breathe in the air that late Lionel blew into the inflatable mattress.
The ending of Bin Jip when Sun-Wha and Tae-Suk are weightless when standing together on the scale.
When all the Who's in Horton Hears a Who try to make enough noise to save themselves.
In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, when Master Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien, dying admit they have always loved each other.
The flashbacks in Dead Mans Shoes. (Definitely one of the best films I've ever seen, I'm not going to link to it, because it's best to not know anything about it and just see it!)
When All Cats Are Grey by The Cure starts to play in Marie Antoinette
When Kunlun starts to run wearing the cape of Snow Wolf in The Promise.
When Donnie and Gretchen are separated in Donnie Darko
When Jin sings to Xiao Mei while holding her in his arms in the snow in House of Flying Daggers.
When the messenger is waving the flag of failure in Hero.

Songs that makes me cry:
(Even just by hearing a snippet!)

Your Eyes Open by Keane.
Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy.
O Mio Bambino Caro (Puccini) sung by Renee Fleming.
Green Eyes by Coldplay.
Any song Thomas Dybdahl has ever made, especially Henry.
Freedom of the Wa by Klaus Badelt.
The Man Who Flew Away by Husky Rescue.
Curves by Röyksopp.
Pulling Our Weight by The Radio Department.
The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve.

Books that make me cry:

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiKamillo and Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, every flippin single time I read them. There are tons of other books that makes me cry, but these two books can make my bottom lip quiver just by thinking about them. 

Not to forget these three films that leaves me a little smudgy pulp with swollen eyes for several weeks at a time: ,
JunoBambi and Dumbo

I am extremely easily affected by these kind of things, and I believe that to be the reason why I'm almost always happy! All the above genuinely makes me sad and I can end up crying myself to sleep, but by the time I get over it (either by heavy Sean The Sheep or Knudsen & Ludvigsen therapy) I feel so light it's as if I could fly away any moment. Crying about one thing is a great way to get rid of other emotional luggage that is already in the system I suppose!

12 Comments!:

Darkkis said...

You shouldn't try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farseer_Trilogy

Unless you've already read those. Not really sure if the link works but you can prolly work it out from the URL anyway... It's "hilarious" 3 books... not...

Audun said...

Green Eyes! I love that song!

Winamp always ends up being full of Coldplay songs.

Anonymous said...

Parents abusing their chilren...

Anonymous said...

You forgot Edward Scissorhands (pretty much all of it), and Juno, after she has given birth.

*snufs*

Audun said...

And Edward Scissorhands giving birth. That was quite upsetting as well.

Sigrid Margrethe Schrødter Teig said...

AUDUN! Don't ruin this for me!!


(haha!)

Tempus said...

Kettle's on and Never be lonley by The feeling makes me kinda sentimental. Alltho I am not that easily affected by theese things.

Well chirstmas without snow and soo faar away from my family makes me kinda sad :P But HEY it's christmas, it allways turns out great.

Really nice picture by the way!

Tora said...

Kettle's on is such a sweet song!

And I DID mention Juno! But not Edward Scissorhands, sorry. Should've done that

Ulrik said...

humm seems Im kinda slow and weird but whattheheck. Tbh sounds kinda emo but the only thing that makes me sentimental is thinking of you guys, all far away out of reach :(

Tora said...

:(

That can't possibly be the only thing that makes you sad, though?

Ulrik said...

Well I suppose there are a few things that makes me sad, mentioning poverty and the state of our planet amongst other similar problems on both a personal, local and global level (Btw read Martin's article).

But a song, a book, a movie or whatever, no not really. Only of the whatever reminds me of something that would make me sentimental independently of how it reminds me. E.g. Smutsar by Kristian Antilla or Hansj's album Russ on FB.

As usual I got lost in my own attempt to reason logically.

Torstinator said...

BUT! you can't denie the fact that EVERYONE cries when King Kong dies in the movie King Kong.

Even I cry of that! EVEN I!

wait...

Back to Top