4

Games I've played


Mum was notorious about getting involved with what games we played when we were kids (to some extent, she is still very involved actually). Which meant we didn't play the same ones as the other kids in the neighbourhood. Nor the violent or the lame. The only reason we ever got our sticky fingers on GoldenEye for the N64 eventually, was because of peer-pressure from all the other kids - and it was never something Mama willingly allowed.

So when I was little I played games like "Peke og Klikke" ("Point and Click"), "Dr. Seuss' ABC", "Harry and The Haunted House", "Bub & Bob" and the demo version of "The Tortoise and The Hare" (the latter, probably a gazillion times). And as I grew up a little, I played "SimCity", "Diddy Kong Racing", "The Settlers (II, III and IV)", "Super Mario 64", "Donky Kong 64", "Banjo Kazooie", "The Legend of Zelda: "Ocarina of Time"/"Majora's Mask"/"The Wind Waker"/"Twilight Princess". And not to forget "Banjo Tooie", "Theme Park World", "Wave Race", "Jet Force Gemini", "Star Fox 64", "Theme Hospital", and several more, but I can't remember them all.

Of course I also played "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance", "Black & White", "Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life", "Rayman: Raving Rabbids (and the following titles)", "Pikmin" and "Pikmin 2" Tink and I really rock at this, "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2" and "3", "World of Warcraft", "Spore", "Sim: Civilization", "Theme Park Inc", "Zoo Tycoon", "Age of Empires II", "1080 Avalanche", "Luigi's Mansion", "Soul Calibur II" and "Soul Calibur IV". Of course I wouldn't go without admitting to have enjoyed countless hours of "The Sims" and "The Sims 2" and "The Sims 3" as well. Of course most of my gaming career has been spent as a spectator, watching my superior big brother break all the scores or simply fly around with Mario's flying hat in Super Mario 64 for hours on end.

For some time I was the smallest of my siblings, so no wonder there was no patience to watch me struggle past the bosses or attempt foolishly to get from platform to platform when my siblings were committing harakiri by my side. And I really enjoyed being on the side-line and just immerse without the actual danger of holding the controller. So it was great. And they needed someone to help solve the puzzles through the Zelda games, or keep them company while ploughing through blue ant-like aliens in "Jet Force Gemini". I was usually lying half beneath the big basement sofa, for what reason I can't recall at all. I hate spiders!

But gaming has always been a very social thing in our household. Whenever we bought a new game we would gather up and wait for everyone to be settled in front of the television set and watch the intro together. And mum would do the ironing and  we'd invite Sigrid's friends over to help with collecting all 121 stars in Super Mario 64, tempting them here with waffles. And that is the most important part of playing games for me. I have enjoyed those hours in solitude - just building "The Most Beautiful Park in The Country" in "Theme Park World" or gathered treasure in "Pikmin" by myself.

So I think there is a reason why people bunch up to watch films together - which is for the same reason people bunch up together at a LAN party. Because everything is worth so much more when enjoyed with someone else. We are pack animals, and we like to share special experiences with our own kin. I hope this is something that will remain in the future of game developing and gaming. And I don't mean in the sense that all games from now on should be MMO's or only playable in coop, not at all. Just that we as people shouldn't think that gaming means to be sitting in a dark room alone, drinking red bull and shooting zombies.

4 Comments!:

Tink said...

PLAY!?!

Sigrid said...

*Hulk*

Jeg savner dere!

Tora said...

:(

Savner deg også, Sigrid.

Audun said...

Hahahaha, dere spilte edutainment-spill!

/mock

Seriøst, ikke rart dere blei gærne.

Back to Top