2

serr!

Serr comes from the word - Seriøst - which means serious. Norwegians use this when wanting to be assured of something. Like, are you serious? But we would shorten it down to just Serr?

Old people don't do this though, so I guess I'm advertising for some heavy linguistic destruction.

The word serr is also used in collaborations with other words to enhance the awesomeness of them. Like "She was seriously fat!" -"Hun var serr feit!" See how that logically just fits right in?
Yes!

We "kids nowadays" might seem lazy, creating abbrevations of everything. Personally I'm not improvident enough to be fully against that, as long as our written language remains the same.
If the things we write remain gramatically correct and in their longer versions (if you like) than our lazy mouthwords are, there is nothing to be worried about. The language will preserve itself through wonderfully long and (original and best) proper sentences.

I hope all the Norwegian teachers out there can discover some solace in these words, even though the fact that I'm blogging in English is indirectly destroying our language too by showing my disapproval towards it,
so
I'm sorry.

2 Comments!:

Audun said...

I have never heard anyone in Vestfold use the term "serr", only person I know about who uses it is you.

It could be a school thing though.


And all languages change over time. In the global world we live in, there's lots of influence from other countries. Apart from that, changes to a language usually comes from the "lower classes", it's the working peoples way of speaking that defines the norm.

I think I made up some expressions in that text, but meeh. Who cares?!?!

lbiak

Anonymous said...

serr?

Back to Top